Sunday, May 2, 2010

Becoming 'Puppy-mom'

If you read my profile, you'll see that I volunteer for Tony La Russa's Animal Rescue Foundation (ARF). It's a fantastic organization that saves animals who have run out of time at animal shelters around the San Francisco Bay Area and surrounding areas. My main role for ARF (http://www.arf.net/) is to take litters of young puppies who would otherwise be euthanized because they have run out of time at the shelter and raise them until they can be spayed or neutered...and adopted. See further below in this post to learn more about ARF and the wonderful work they do for rescued animals...and through animals, helping people.

People always ask me why I would spend so much time picking up puppy poop, sterilizing the puppy area before the new litter comes, and then picking up more puppy poop. But what amazes them even more is my ability to get really young puppies to respond to training. I have had puppies younger than 8 weeks with very good leash manners. They can sit patiently at the door before they go out. Some can learn to "do their business" outside by the time they are 10 weeks old. By 10 to 11 weeks, we can start with basic 'heeling' commands.

When people ask me how I do this, I realize I can't explain it in a short conversation. I know my education gives me a big advantage. Spending four wonderful, highly productive years at the University of California at Berkeley studying comparative and physiological behavior gave me the ability to observe, perceive and analyze behavior. My senior thesis studied the effects of genetic predisposition to learning. This experience armed me with the ability to interpret individual variations and to use a systematic 'test and improve' method to successfully modify behavior.

At the University of Hawaii, I was able to study with some of the leaders in the field of comparative learning theory and aggression. You add that background with my all-encompassing love of dogs, and it explains why I have both the patience and the skills needed to work with young puppies.

Because of this, a few of my friends who are fellow dog lovers and have had challenges with puppies in their lives asked me to start this blog.   So that is how "Joy of Puppies" and "Puppy-mom" got started.

More about ARF from the ARF website, http://www.arf.net/:

"ARF was created in 1991 by Tony and Elaine La Russa to address the needs of companion animals. Their vision for ARF is an organization that can not only aid abandoned and homeless animals, but also promote the concept that people's lives can be enhanced by strengthening the bonds between humans and animals. With these intertwined goals as the guiding principles, and an intention to become a national as well as local leader, ARF has designed progressive programs for many populations including abused children, the elderly, victims of violence and others who can benefit from the healing contact of animals.

ARF is growing to meet the demands of the 21st century with the first private adoption and education center in Contra Costa County, California. ARF will continue to respond to the immediate needs of animals who have been neglected, abused or deprived of love to ensure they find high quality homes. At the same time, ARF will embody the vision of a better future-one where animals are respected for the unique role they can and do play in making the world a better place for people to live and where there is a stable and loving home for every pet to complete its natural lifespan."

No comments:

Post a Comment